Booneville, the seat of Owsley county, is located on the South Fork of Kentucky River at KY 11 and KY 30. The site was once known as Boone's Station, Daniel Boone having once camped in the area, and Moore's Station, for a family of late eighteenth century settlers. Elias Moore donated land for a seat for the new county in 1843 and the town was incorporated Booneville in 1847. The Owsley Court House post office opened in 1844 and was renamed Booneville in 1846. The population in 2010 was 81.