Burgin is a Mercer county town at the junction of KY 33 and KY 152 about three miles west of Harrodsburg. The site at the head of the Cane Run branch of the Dix River was originally known as Cane Run. In 1874 the Cincinnati Southern Railroad obtained a right-of-way from Temple Burgin and opened Burgin Station. The town was established in 1877 and incorporated the next year. The post office opened as Bergen in 1877 and changed to the current spelling in 1886. The population in 2010 was 965.