Clay is a Webster county city about six miles west of Dixon. It was intially known as Ashland, for Henry Clay's home in Lexington, was later renamed Claysville, and finally Clay. Claysville was incorporated in 1860 and reincorporated as Clay in 1872. The Ashland post office opened in 1837, was renamed Clay in 1854, and closed in 1865. A Winstead post office, named for its postmaster, operated briefly in 1866. The Clay post office reopened in 1866. The population in 2010 was 1,181.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon