Claysville was a Meade county town about four miles southeast of Brandenburg at the Doe Run Mill on what is now KY 1638. It was the Meade county seat from 1824 to 1825, when it was moved to Brandenburg. The Claysville area was also known variously as New Philadelphia and Brownville. The sources of the names are not known. A Little York post office operated in the vicinity from 1862 to 1873. There was a post office in what is now Meade county known as New Philadelphia from 1818 to 1819 and then Little York until about 1833. They may or may not be connected with Claysville.