Coalton is a Boyd county community about 12 miles west of Catlettsburg on the Williams Creek. Coal mining began in the area in the mid-nineteenth century. The Coalton post office opened in 1865 at the station on the new Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad. It moved several times in the vicinity and closed in 1928.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon