Columbus is a Hickman county town on the Mississippi River about seven miles northwest of Clinton. It was established in 1804 as Iron Banks, named for the towering river banks, and renamed Columbus, for the explorer, in 1820. It 1821 it became the seat of newly-formed Hickman county and remained such until 1829 when it was moved to the more centrally located Clinton. After the 1927 flood the town was moved to higher ground a half mile from the river. Columbus was incorporated in 1860. The Columbus post office opened in 1820. The population in 2010 was 170.
Columbus-Belmont State Park, site of a Civil War fortification and battlefield, is in Columbus.