Dayton is a Campbell county city about one mile east of Newport on the Ohio River. It was formed in 1867 with the merger of the cities of Jamestown (incorporated in 1848) and Brooklyn (incorporated in 1849). The sources of the names are obscure. Dayton was incorporated in 1867. A Brooklyn post office opened in 1849 and closed in 1856. A Dayton post office opened in 1868 and closed in 1896. The population of Dayton in 2010 was 5,955.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon