Gapville is a Magoffin county community about 15 miles southeast of Salyersville on Salt Lick Branch. It was named for the gap between the Licking and Big Sandy watersheds at the end of the Puncheon Camp Creek valley. The post office opened in 1888, postmaster Reverend Benjamin M. Holbrook, on Puncheon Camp Creek and moved several times, finally to Salt Lick Branch.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon