Gilbertsville is a northeastern Marshall county town near the Tennessee River just below Kentucky Dam and Kentucky Lake. The original site of the town was east of the current location and was moved during the construction of the dam in the late 1930s. The town originated in 1870 as a community known as Clear Pond and was renamed Gilbertsville in 1876 for state Senator Jesse. C. Gilbert. The Clear Pond post office opened in 1871, closed in 1873, and reopened as Gilbertsville in 1876. The population in 2010 was 458.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2015 David C. Elbon