Graefenburg is an eastern Shelby county town on KY 1427 (Old US 60) about twelve miles east of Shelbyville. It was established in the early nineteenth century as Hardinsville and incorporated in 1850. It was renamed Graefenburg in 1856, although both names continued in use until the twentieth century. The name Hardinsville comes from early land owner Wesley Hardin. The source of the name Graefenburg is obscure. The Hardinsville post office opened before 1830, was renamed Graefenburg in 1856, and closed in 1909.