Guthrie is a Todd county town south of Elkton on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. It is on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and US 41. Guthrie began as a stage stop called Pondy Woods about 1840 and may later have been called State Line. The town was established later and named for James A. Guthrie, U.S. Senator and the railroad's president. Guthrie was incorporated in 1876. The Guthrie post office opened about 1868. The population in 2010 was 1,419.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon