Hazel Green, Kentucky
Hazel Green, a Wolfe county community, was settled around 1800 and named for locally abundant hazel shrubs. It is located on the Red River about seven miles north of Campton. Hazel Green was incorporated in 1856, but was later dissolved. The Hazle Green post office opened in 1829 and changed the spelling to Hazel Green in 1889. The population in 2010 was 228.
It was the home of the Hazel Green Academy from 1880 to 1983. Several resort hotels were once located at nearby Swango Springs and mineral water was commercially bottled there until 1943.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2015 David C. Elbon