Hickman, the seat of Fulton county, is on the bluffs above the Mississippi River below the mouth of Bayou du Chien. The site was originally known as Mills Point for James Mills, an early settler. It was later renamed for the family of the wife of G.W.L. Marr, a local landowner. Hickman was incorporated in 1841. The Mills Point post office opened in 1830 and was renamed Hickman in 1845. The population in 2010 was 2,395.
The Dorena-Hickman Ferry crosses the Mississippi River to Missouri at Hickman.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon