Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Hopkinsville, the seat of Christian county, was founded about 1796 and was first known as Christian Court House and Elizabeth. It was named Hopkinsville for General Samuel Hopkins in 1804. Hopkinsville was incorporated in 1853. The Christian Court House post office opened in 1804 and was soon renamed Hopkinsville. The population in 2010 was 31,577.

Hopkinsville is the home of Hopkinsville Community College.

Photo of the Christian County Courthouse
The Christian County Courthouse in Hopkinsville.

Hopkinsville was the headquarters of the Farm Security Administration's Christian-Trigg Farms, which included more than 8,000 acres in Christian, Trigg, and Todd counties. The project included 103 farmsteads that included a house, barn, and other out-buildings, on an average of 67 acres. The farms were occupied beginning about 1938.

MORE INFORMATION

Cadiz Pennyrille Forest State Resort Park Madisonville Fairview State of Tennessee Pembroke, Kentucky Hopkinsville
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER

© 2017 David C. Elbon