LaFayette is a Christian county town about 14 miles southwest of Hopkinsville. It was named to honor the Marquis de Lafayette. LaFayette was incorporated in 1836. A Flat Lick post office opened nearby in 1835 and moved to the site in 1836, taking the name LaFayette. The name has also been spelled La Fayette and Lafayette. The population in 2010 was 165.