Monterey is in Bourbon county just southwest of Paris on the Lexington Road. It is named for a Mexican War battle. There was a station there on the Kentucky Central Railroad known as Kenney's Station for the owner of the farm surrounding it.
Somewhere in the area was Huston (sometimes spelled Houston in later sources), named for the creek, which had been named for Joseph Huston, whose 1775 station became Paris. The Huston post office opened in 1849 and closed in 1877.
A Rummansville post office opened nearby in 1894, named for its postmaster. It was renamed Glenkenny, for the farm, in 1896 and it closed in 1905.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon