Orangeburg is an eastern Mason county community on Stone Lick about five miles southeast of Maysville. A town was laid out in 1796 and called Williamsburg, named for one of the owners of the land. In 1836 the name was changed to Orangeburg, named for another prominent resident. The names were sometimes spelled Williamsburgh and Orangeburgh. The Williamsburg post office opened in 1814, was renamed Orangeburg in 1850, and closed in 1906.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon