Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer

Paintsville, Kentucky
Paintsville, Kentucky

Paintsville, the seat of Johnson county, is located along Paint Creek at its mouth on the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River. The town began as Paint Creek Station early in the nineteenth century. The town was laid out in 1826 and was established in 1834. The name of the creek and town refer to Indian drawings found on trees in the area. Paintsville was incorporated in 1843. The post office may have originally been known as Paint Creek, but was called Paintsville by 1843. The population of Paintsville in 2010 was 3,459.

There is a trailhead for the Dawkins Line Rail Trail south of town at Hager Hill.

MORE INFORMATION

Paintsville Thelma Thealka Staffordsville Louisa Inez Van Lear Salyersville
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER

© 2014 David C. Elbon