Rumsey is a central McLean county community on the Green River just south of Calhoun. Settlement began in the early nineteenth century and increased with the construction of Lock and Dam Number 2 beginning in 1834. The name probably was to honor Edward Rumsey, who served in congress, or James Rumsey. Rumsey was incorporated in 1839, but was dissolved about 1980. The Rumsey post office opened in 1834.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon