Saint Matthews, Kentucky
Saint Matthews is an eastern Jefferson county town and suburb of Louisville. The area, along Beargrass Creek, was settled beginning in 1779. It was known as Sale's Precinct and later Gilman's Point, both for local tavern owners. Saint Matthews was incorporated in 1950. A post office opened in 1849 as Lynnford, probably named for the nearby Linn Station. The Saint Matthews post office opened in 1851, named for the local Episcopal church. The post office closed in 1931. The population in 2010 was 17,472.