Schochoh is a Logan county community about eight miles southeast of Russellville. Settlement probably began by the mid-nineteenth century and the name is probably biblical in origin. The Shochoh (slightly misspelled) post office opened in 1875 and closed in 1904.
Nearby on the North Fork of Red River was Maulding's Station, which was settled about 1783, the first settlement in what became Logan county. Also nearby was the Red River Meeting House, established by 1789, and the site of a revival meeting in 1800 that is considered the start of the Great Revival or Second Great Awakening of 1800-1805. Later camp meetings were held in several places in Kentucky, the largest probably at Cane Ridge.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon