Shively, a western Jefferson county town and suburb of Louisville was settled about 1780. Among the early settlers was Christian Shively who operated a mill and tavern. The town became identified with Saint Helen Catholic Church, established in 1897, and was known as Saint Helen's, but later took the name Shively. (Saint Helen parish was merged with several others in 2009 to form Mary Queen of Peace.)
The local railroad station was known as Alms House for the nearby Home for the Aged and Infirm, a Louisville municipal institution that operated from 1874 to 1953, housing at one time about 300.
Shively was incorporated in 1938. The Shively post office opened in 1902 and closed in 1949. The population in 2010 was 15,264.