Stamping Ground, Kentucky
Stamping Ground is a small western Scott county town on KY 227 near the Locust Fork of North Elkhorn Creek and several springs. It was named for the activity of herds of bison in the area. The town was established in 1817 and named Herndonsville for the local Herndon family. In 1834 the name was changed to Stamping Ground. Stamping Ground was incorporated in 1853. A Stamping Grounds post office operated for a short time in 1816. The Herndonsville post office operated from 1823 until 1834, when it was renamed Stamping Ground. The population in 2010 was 643.