Stanton, the seat of Powell county, is located near the center of the county on KY 15 and KY 213 and the Mountain Parkway. It was an early settlement first known as Beaver Ponds. The Beaver Ponds post office opened in 1848. In 1852, with the formation of Powell county, the town and post office were renamed Stanton to honor Richard M. Stanton, representative and judge. Stanton was incorporated in 1854. The population in 2010 was 2,733.