Thealka is a Johnson county town north of Paintsville on KY 581 and Muddy Branch. The village was established by the North East Coal Company and a Muddy Branch post office opened in 1906. It was renamed Thealka in 1911 for Alka Meeks Mayo, daughter of a local businessman who also had a steamship named Thealka for his daughter.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon