Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer

Whitley City, Kentucky

Whitley City, the seat of McCreary county, is near springs on Jenney’s Creek at the junction of US 27 and KY 1651. It was known as Whitley Depot on the Cincinnati Southern Railway. The town became the county seat when McCreary county was formed in 1912 and was named Whitley City. A Coolidge post office opened in 1880 and was renamed Whitley City in 1912. The precise origins of the names are not known. Whitley City is unincorporated. The population of Whitley City in 2010 was 1,170.

MORE INFORMATION

SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER

© 2014 David C. Elbon