Wilder is a Campbell county city on the south side of Newport on the Licking River. Leitch's Station, a circa 1789 pioneer settlement, was in the vicinity on the Licking River, about six miles from its mouth. A settlement named Finchtown may have been in the area as well. The name Wilder comes from Wilder's Station on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, which was named for William Wilder, a member of the board of the railroad. Wilder was incorporated in 1935 and has never had a post office. The population in 2010 was 3,035.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2014 David C. Elbon