Williamsburg, the seat of Whitley county, is located in the center of the county on the Cumberland river. The town of Whitley Court House was formed with the new county in 1818 and named, like the county, for William Whitley. The post office opened the next year. The name of the town and post office were changed to Williamsburgh in 1882 and the spelling was changed to Williamsburg in 1890. Whitley Court House was incorporated in 1851. The population in 2010 was 5,245.
Williamsburg is the home of Cumberland University, founded in 1889.
- Whitley County Fiscal Court
- Whitley County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Whitley County Public Library
- Whitley County Schools
- Whitley County Tourism
- Williamsburg, City of
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2014 David C. Elbon