Wingo is a Graves county city about five miles southwest of Mayfield. The town grew around a station on the New Orleans and Ohio Railroad when it arrived in 1854. The name is for Jerman J. Wingo, a local landowner who gave land for the tracks and station. Wingo was incorporated in 1872. The Point Curve post office opened in 1861, was renamed Wingo Station in 1862, and finally Wingo in 1882. The population in 2010 was 632.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon