In 2010 the county population was 11,591 in a land area of 278.79 square miles, an average of 41.6 people per square mile.
The equine population was 1,200 in the 2012 Kentucky Equine Survey.
Bath county was named for the springs in the area that were thought to have medicinal value. Settlers to the area began processing iron ore by about 1790 and the remains of several old iron furnaces can be found in the county.
The first county seat was Catlett's Flat, but it was soon moved to Owingsville.