Gratz, a western Owen county town on the Kentucky River, was founded in 1847 and named for Benjamin Gratz Brown, grandson of John Brown. Gratz was incorporated in 1881. A Clay Lick post office opened on the site in 1844, named for Clay Lick Creek, was renamed Gratz in 1851, and closed in 1994. The population in 2010 was 78.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon