Owenton, the seat of Owen county, was founded in 1822 and named, like the county, for Abraham Owen, although the site was probably settled a decade earlier. It became the county seat in 1822 – the orginal seat was in nearby Hesler. Owenton was incorporated in 1828. The Owenton post office opened in 1822. The population in 2010 was 1,327.
The Owen County Courthouse in Owenton was completed in 1858 and expanded in 1868.