Helechawa is a Wolfe county community about 12 miles east of Campton. It was established about 1900 as a station on the Ohio and Kentucky Railroad. The name was formed from Helen Chase Walbridge, the daughter of the railroad's president. A post office operated as Neola from 1900 until 1922 when it was renamed Helechawa. It closed in 1989. The source of the name Neola is obscure.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon