Staffordsville is a Johnson county community about two miles west of Paintsville on KY 40 and Paint Creek at the mouth of Mudlick Creek. A Frew post office opened on the site in 1882, probably named for Johnson county judge John Frew Stewart, and closed in 1887. A Rule post office, probably named for a local family, opened in 1888 and closed in 1889. Another Frew post office opened in 1889 and was renamed Staffordsville in 1893 for the new postmaster.
Paintsville Lake State Park is just northwest of Staffordsville.