Vanceburg, the seat of Lewis county, is on the banks of the Ohio River. It was founded in 1797 and named for Joseph Vance, one of the founders. It became an important port and its location relatively high above the river made it less susceptible to floods. Vanceburg became the county seat in 1863 when it was moved from Clarksburg. The town is sometimes referred to Alum City because of nearby deposits of alum. Vanceburg was incorporated in 1827. The Vanceburg post office opened in 1815. The population in 2010 was 1,518.
- Lewis County Chamber of Commerce
- Lewis County Fiscal Court
- Lewis County Public Library
- Lewis County Schools
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2014 David C. Elbon