Alpine was a Pulaski county community about ten miles south of Somerset. Happy Hollow originated as a coal mining town on the Cincinnati, New Orleans, and Texas Pacific Railway. The town was renamed Alpine circa 1892. The mines closed in the early twentieth century, most of the town burned in 1911, and the old rail line was abandoned in 1965. Most residents moved north from the original town site, where little remains.
The Happy Hollow post office opened in 1888, was renamed Alpine in 1892, and closed in 1976.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon