Bracktown is a western Fayette county community located on the Town Branch of Elkhorn Creek and the Leestown Pike (US 421) on the northwest edge of Lexington. Once a rural hamlet, it was established about 1887 when land owned by Robert Stone, the Martin family, and the Reverend Frederick Braxton was subdivided and sold to formerly enslaved people. The northern section was originally called Stonetown, but it was all eventually known as Bracktown to honor Braxton, pastor at the First African Baptist Church and the founding pastor of what is now the Main Street Baptist Church in Lexington. Braxton died in 1876.
The old (1931) First Baptist Church Bracktown. A new building was completed nearby in 2006.
The western terminus of the Town Branch Trail is just outside Bracktown.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon