Hammond was a Knox county community about 15 miles northeast of Barbourville. It was originally known as Hammons, for a local family, but the name was changed to Hammond by the Post Office Department for reasons that are unknown. The Hammons post office opened in 1890, was renamed Hammond in 1892, and closed in 1975.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon