Henderson, the seat of Henderson county, was settled in the late eighteenth century as Red Banks. It 1797 the town of Henderson was laid out for the Transylvania Company and named for Colonel Richard Henderson. It is located on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River near its confluence with the Green. Henderson was incorporated in 1840. The Henderson post office opened in 1801. The population in 2010 was 28,757.
Henderson is the home of Henderson Community College.
North of Henderson in a bend of the Ohio River is the site of a planned Utopian city. It was proposed by the Crawford Development Company in 1910 and was to include residential, commercial, and industrial space with ownership of property governed by a council and restricted to whites only, thus the name White City. The economic base was to be tobacco processing and funding was hoped for from Henderson and Evansville, Indiana, just across the river. A three-story community building was constructed, but the plan collapsed by 1911 and ended up in the courts.
Later schemes for the property included a resort and casino in 1918 after Indiana prohibited alcohol sales. This failed. Later plans for yacht clubs, etc. also failed. The building constructed in 1910 was apparentyly razed in the 1940s.
- Ellis Park Racing
- Henderson, City of
- Henderson County Fiscal Court
- Henderson County Public Library
- Henderson County Schools
- Henderson County Tourist Commission
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2019 David C. Elbon