Riverton was a Greenup county town on the Ohio River, just southeast of Greenup. It was established in 1866 to be the headquarters of the new Eastern Kentucky Railway. It was annexed by Greenup in 1958. The Riverton post office operated from 1892 to 1958.
The Eastern Kentucky Railway, chartered as the Kentucky Improvement Company in 1866, extended from Riverton south to Webbville. It was built over several years, reaching Argillite in 1867, Grayson in 1871, and Webbville in 1889, for a total length of about 36 miles. It was built mainly to serve mining in the area. The EK was bankrupt by 1919 and the section south of Grayson became the Eastern Kentucky Southern Railway in 1928. All operations ceased by 1933 and the tracks were removed.
KY 1 follows the old EK alignment from Riverton to Argillite. South of Argillite to Hunnewell most of the railbed is now KY 207. From there the route coincided with KY 3306, KY 1, and KY 773. The line included eight tunnels and several bridges.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon