Saint Catharine, Kentucky
Saint Catharine is in Washington county just northwest of Springfield centered around the Saint Catharine Academy and the Motherhouse of the Dominican Sisters founded in 1822. Originally known as Saint Magdalen, the academy was renamed Saint Catharine in 1851. The Saint Catharine area was annexed by Springfield in 2013.
The post office opened in 1900 as Saint Catherines and the spelling was corrected in 1903.
Saint Catharine College
Saint Catharine was the home of Saint Catharine College, established in 1931, but originating with the Academy that was established in 1839. The College closed at the end of July, 2016. (Photo circa 1998.)
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon