Sherburne is a Fleming county community on the Licking River at the mouth of Flat Creek about nine miles south of Flemingsburg. It grew around the early nineteenth century mills of Robert Andrews from Sherburne, New York. The population was about 300 by the late nineteenth century. Sherburne was incorporated in 1847, but was later dissolved. The Sherburne Mills post office opened in 1815, was renamed Sherburne in 1879, and closed in 1958.
The Sherburne covered bridge was south of town, crossing the Licking. It was completed in 1868 and destroyed by fire in 1981. It was a Howe truss design, 266 feet long, with supplementary suspension cables added in 1951.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon