Snider was a Spencer county community about six miles east of Taylorsville between Little Beech Creek and the Salt River. The area was known as Leatherman's Settlement for Christian Leatherman, who acquired the land in 1795. It is now partly surrounded by Taylorsville Lake and is within the Taylorsville Lake Wildlife Management Area.
A Briar Ridge post office opened about a mile west in 1879 and closed the same year. The Snider post office opened in 1894 and closed in 1916.
Taylorsville Lake covers about 3,050 acres. It was created by the Taylorsville Lake Dam on the Salt River, which was completed in 1974. Taylorsville Lake State Park and the Taylorsville Lake Wildlife Management Area border the lake.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon