Stephensport is a Breckinridge county town on the Ohio River at the mouth of Sinking Creek about eight miles north of Hardinsburg. It was named for the Stephens family who owned the land. It was an port in its early days. The railroad arrived circa 1888. The town suffered major fires in 1912 and 1927 and flooded several times, particularly in 1937.
Stephensport was established in 1803 and incorporated in 1825. It was later dissolved.
The Stevensport post office opened in 1825, but the spelling was later changed to Stephensport. It was briefly known as Roff, for the local postmaster, in 1882.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon