Wurtland is a Greenup county town on the Ohio River south of Greenup. The area was the site of the Fulton Forge Works, established in the 1830s by Alexander Fulton, and the town was known as Fulton Forge or Fulton. In 1859 the Fulton Manufacturing and Mining Company was purchased by George and Samuel Wurt. Wurtland was incorporated in 1970. An Oil Works post office operated in the area from 1864 to 1871. The Wurtland post office opened in 1876 and became a branch of Greenup in 1959. The population in 2010 was 995.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon