Alton is an Anderson county community on KY 151 about five miles northwest of Lawrenceburg. A Rough and Ready post office opened in 1850 and the town was incorporated in 1854. The name came from the nickname of Zachary Taylor. The town and post office were renamed Alton in 1876. Much of the economic activity in the vicinity moved to Alton Station when the railroad arrived. The Alton post office closed in 1910.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon