Belfry is a Pike county community on Pond Creek near the mouth of Peg Branch about 13 miles northeast of Pikeville. It was named by the Semet-Solvay Company, which operated a local coal mine, but the origin of the name isn't known. The company also had a coal camp nearby named Toland. The Williamson and Pond Creek Railway arrived in 1913 and opened a passenger stop at Belfry. The Ep post office, named for local sawmill owner James Epperson Runyon, opened in 1921 and was renamed Belfry in 1926.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon