Blue Heron, Kentucky
Blue Heron is in McCreary county about six miles southwest of Whitley City. It was a coal camp established in 1937 by the Stearns Coal and Lumber Company. Mining ended in 1962 and the town was abandoned. It was rebuilt as an educational site in the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. It is also known as Mine 18. The Blue Heron comes from one the grades of coal sold by the Stearns company. The peak population was probably during World War II at about 1,000. The Blue Heron post office operated from 1946 to 1963.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon