Deatsville is a Nelson county community about eight miles northwest of Bardstown on KY 245. It was named for the Deats family. A Deatsville post office opened in 1850, but moved to nearby Samuels Depot in 1860. In 1866 a Sayers Depot post office, named for the farmer who owned the land, opened southeast of Deatsville and was moved to Deatsville and renamed in 1870.
Taylor W. Samuels opened a distillery just north of the site of Deatsville in 1844. The T.W. Samuels company constructed a new distillery in Deatsville at the railroad after Prohibition in 1933. It closed sometime in the mid-twentieth century and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon