Dexter is a Calloway county community six miles north of Murray that was on the Paducah, Tennessee, and Alabama Railroad. The area was settled in the nineteenth century and the town was established when the railroad arrived circa 1890. There are several stories about the source of the name, including being named for Dexter, Missouri, a town on another railroad, or for a railroad officer.
It was incorporated in 1946 and dissolved sometime before 1980.
The Dexter post office opened in 1890.
The population of the Dexter census designated place was 277 in 2010.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2024 David C. Elbon